Thursday, January 24, 2008

Adah's Homecoming

Adah was the first to come home, on Thursday, January 17. When she left the hospital she weighed 4 lbs., 12 oz. Dad made sure to install the car seat and mom rode in the back seat with her on the way home. When we got home, Wilson was very glad to see us. We brought the car seat into the house, but he didn't know that Adah was in there. We sat down with him and when she made a noise, he was pretty startled. Wilson is a skittish dog by nature, so he was a little taken aback at the new arrival. At first, he was pretty jealous of all the attention she was getting. After a week (and two more babies), he understands that he's no longer top dog.

Adah's first night was a little rough. In the hospital, she was always very calm and quiet. We had her sleeping in a basinette in our room, but that only lasted until 4am. JoAnne couldn't sleep because of all her little noises. She moved her to her crib in the nursery and we turned the baby monitor on (low volume!). Adah got a visit from Grandad and Nonni on Friday morning and she spent the rest of the day hanging out with us! Hanging out, of course, meaning eating and sleeping. She didn't get spoiled too long because her brother was coming home that night. Bogey and Marmi came over to help take care of her while we went to pick up Sam.

Adah is very particular. We tried to swaddle her because the nurses always swaddle the babies at the NICU, but she likes to have her arms out now. We think that she wakes herself up moving her arms around, but that's how she wants it, and who are we to get in her way? She has been a very good baby so far. She's still the best eater, and at her first visit to the pediatrician on Monday, she weighed 5 lbs., 2 oz. and was 18.25" long. We thought we weren't feeding her enough, but since she gained 6 oz. in 4 days, I guess we were proven wrong! She had her first bath at home and, as usual, didn't like it. She's really enjoying being at home!

No comments: